Menu

Announcements

We're undergoing a giant revamp! While things may be quiet and will take months of work, the site will be continuing under a sandbox until staff can roll out all the new changes. Join our Discord to catch some sneak peaks! (March 16, 2020)

Plot Highlights

The Angel Leaders are all meeting to discuss the war. Read about the outcome Here!
Zombies? Undead?! No! What are these things?! They look.... Alive?! HERE.
A third oracle has died! Aerithe, oracle of Zarkos, died publically in Prerio City square of what many believe to be suffocation. Read more about it HERE.
Oh no the queen! Head over to the Enkratis packlands to find out what happened HERE.
Disaster has struck at the Shrine of Jackroth! Find out what has happened to both oracle and God HERE.

Recent Posts

TBA
ADMIN: Andromeda
ADMIN: Achera
ADMIN: Kila
MOD: TBD
MOTM
CHOTM: Username
COTM: Username
TOTM: Username

The Trinket Didn't Work...

tortricidae Offline

Threads: 15
Find
Thread Status: closed
Players involved: kila, haji
Characters involved: Damian (kila), Killian (haji)
Setting: Yfrelo
Time: Morning
Weather: Partly cloudy and slightly chilly

------

The mage in charge of the Enchantment branch of the Mage's College was a curiously benign and very paranoid person. An elf who insisted on being called Master Tinks no matter what event was happening. At some point Cromwell, the headmaster usually in charge of communications, had given up on trying to change the eccentric elf's mind.

Cromwell was bad at communication to say the least.

However, when Master Tinks would get all wound up about a bit or bauble that they had created, there was no stopping them from freaking out about it. (Apparently the college attracted all types of mages, not just the sane ones...as far as Cromwell was concerned.) He couldn't get the elf to leave him alone no matter how hard he tried. And, boy, did he try.

Please have it checked out, the college could be destroyed.

Cromwell, of course, wanted nothing to do with this idiot elf who was out of their mind. So he banged down Magnus's door, yelled some rage-filled gibberish and stormed out, forcing all the papers in her little office to explode into a rain of parchment. Cromwell being in a bad mood was always a delightful way to start the work day. Magnus waved her hands and all the papers flew back where they belonged.

"I think you should check it out, Killian," she said. "I have nothing else for you to do today, sorry."

Killian frowned even though that was his default. He frowned deeper. "This isn't even a threat inside the college, Magnus."

"Off you go. Master Tinks says it's a walking disaster. Wouldn't specify anything else. Just get some fresh air if nothing else."

Killian scowled but obeyed. He disappeared in the shadows and strode out of the huge gaping opening to the cobblestone bridge that lead into the city. Looking for a walking disaster in Yfrelo was like looking for hay in a haystack. With no other description, he would have to rely on intuition, but he had no idea what he was looking for.

He figured it would be better to sit by the gate atop a pillar and just observe. He'd follow any truly unusual "walking disasters" that happened to cross his path. Hopefully nobody would bother him on his stake-out.

Kila Offline

Sphinx Queen

Threads: 83
Website Find
Damien

"I hate mountains," Belial groaned. "It's always so dry." The spirit elemental whipped up a damp wind that ruffled Damien's long white hair, and took in a deep breath. "Much better."

The elf grumbled to himself, clutching the staff in his hands tightly as they walked through the streets of Yfrelo. "Do you know what I hate even more?" A pause. "I hate that people are staring as us because of you!" His tone was sharp, though it never rose above a hushed whisper.

The grey-skinned elf was right--people were indeed staring at the unusual pair as they made their way through the streets. Yfrelo was a mage town, after all, with its college boasting some of the brightest minds in all of the realm. The stared Damien found himself met with were a mix of curiosity--what manner of magic was this?--and horror--what manner of magic had done this? He felt his cheeks burn in frustration and irritation, the color moving up to his long ears.

Belial gave a dismissive wave. "Let them stare," he said with a tone that could only be described as smug. Had the elemental a mouth, his expression would be that of a smirk, but instead his blue eyes were grinning from behind his bone mask. He floated forward, cutting off Damien--who kept walking in spite of the elemental blocking his field of vision--and continued on. "It's not every day they see such raw magic such as myself."

Damien shot back without missing a beat, "More like raw ego." He pushed the elemental aside, his hand sinking a ways into Belial's semi corporeal form, and continued on. "I suppose the stares aren't entirely a bad thing. Maybe one of these egghead mages can figure out how to get you out of my hair."

"Oh, you're giving me permission to make a scene?"

"Do not." Damien could feel the bags under his eyes increasing. "Just let the stare. Don't make a scene. I want to sleep inside tonight."

Belial gave a thoughtful "Hmmm" as he looked around the streets. "Yes, I suppose in this weather you'd freeze to death outside, and that wouldn't bode well for me at all."

"And I'd love to die. Clearly," said Damien, completely deadpan.

"Oh, you are a joy."

tortricidae Offline

Find
If Killian had spent any longer sitting outside and staring at people, he was likely going to keel over and actually die of boredom. Humans were terrifyingly predictable, but they had numbers which was likely the only reason they were still relevant outside of those who knew magic. And a true human knowing magic was very rare. Most had some aspect of a magical line from outside the human species, which was all the more fascinating when people like Cromwell would grow intolerant and downright embarrassing.

It's a shame, because the look on his face would be worth the imminent exile even though Killian was reasonably sure that the college would fall apart if he left with all his magical contributions in tow. Or at least be a lot worse for wear. Killian really did work a thankless job. Well, Magnus said thank you a lot.

Even while he was veiled in his human form, Killian was very much a lounger when he wasn't in the shadows of Magnus's office or somewhere on college grounds. The pillar was just wide enough at the top, where he could just lay there as the sun rose higher and bask in the warmth. People passed him by and he would stare at them and they would usually avert their eyes.

Nothing suspicious. However, as the hours slid by, there was a lot more chatter between those crossing into the college and through the sidestreets just out of view, but well within earshot. An elf with hair that looked alive.

That was definitely something of interest. Though his days were spent in the mage's college, Killian had been around the city long enough to know it almost as well as the folks in City Hall. Not necessarily names and addresses, but who did and did not belong, who was new, and the changing demographics as people flooded and sometimes evacuated the city.

This was new and people were mystified, though not necessarily in a good way. He climbed down the pillar and made his way through the streets. Following signs wasn't incredibly difficult, but it still took a little bit.

He was richly dressed, very easily identifiable as a member of the mage's college, with a fine silk shirt and cotton slacks, both a rich and dark blue. He wore a partial cloak as well that was fashioned of black fur that was almost indistinguishable from feathers. All accented with gold in the stitching and laces. His shoes were simple but well crafted.

And he found Damien relatively easily. He'd just stalk for now and see if this person was a threat or not, but the hushed whispers of those mystified passersby were not wrong. Damien's hair looked alive. Killian had never seen anything like that before and his heart ached to figure out what exactly it was he was looking at.

In due time of course.

Kila Offline

Sphinx Queen

Website Find
Damien

There was absolutely nothing interesting in this place. Only stuffy mages who were just content to stare and whisper behind his back. Damien fought the urge to grind his teeth. At least there was a stall selling some manner of meat stuffed bread. Handing over some coin, Damien took a bite of the dumpling as he continued to wander down side streets.

The warm food in his belly did little to lift his spirits, but Belial was having a good time. The elemental was floating to and fro, examining everything that caught his interest.

"Are you having fun?" the elf asked, propping himself up with his staff.

Belial quipped back, "Oh yes. Human cities are always full of such little trinkets. It's amusing how such a race with no extraordinary abilities has managed to rise above all the challenges stacked against them~"

"Your joy is contagious." Damien's deadpan response was met with naught but silence as they turned down another street.

Their walk through the unfamiliar city was uneventful. It was more of the same. More hushed whispers, more stares--couldn't they come up with something more interesting to do? The elf had, at one point, attempted to ask a lass where he could sleep for the night, but she was so enraptured by Belial that she peppered the two with questions, which Damien was only able to dodge by vaulting over a cart and disappearing into a side street.

The gentle pressure of Belial's hands on his shoulder grabbed his attention, and he glanced over as the elemental perched on his shoulder, leaning close to whisper, "We're being followed, dearest Damien."

Great.

His breathing steadied as he continued walking as though nothing was wrong. In a gruff whisper he replied, "I don't suppose they just want to question us?"

"With your luck?"

Point taken.

With an elegant twist, the elf whirled around, staff in hand, and pointed the spear-like tip at his stalker. "I don't want any trouble," he stated dryly.

tortricidae Offline

Find
Killian, after a certain point, didn't bother to try to hide that he was following Damien. Not even a little. There was only so much he could do in this situation; so many places he could hide. It's not like Damien was actively hurting anyone so far. But he was creating a disturbance, especially with the rumors that were already floating around.

Killian looked from the point of the spear to Damien's face and back again, face nearly unreadable but still very indifferent. He didn't take a step back even though it would have likely been wise to do so. Instead, he took a deep breath and smoothed his hair down, which had been bristling. What a thankless job.

"You are an outsider with some kind of magical entity attached to your head. You're pointing a weapon at an unarmed citizen in a city full of mages. That, by definition, is asking for trouble."

It was true. Though there were honestly far fewer trained mages, many of the common denizens of Yfrelo could do some kind of magic, even if it was a little parlor trick or disarming spell. Some of the braver magic user had stopped to look at Damien and Killian. They were concerned and ready to defend the known underling of the Head of Security at the mage's college.

"I suggest you put your weapon down, outsider," Killian purred. "And tell me who you are."

Kila Offline

Sphinx Queen

Website Find
Damien

Damien choked back a laugh.

"Everyone in this city is a mage of some sort. You're about as unarmed as the rest of them," he scoffed, tightening his grip on his staff. "And besides, you've got too much magic to be an unarmed citizen, with your fancy clothes a dead giveaway you're no commoner who only uses parlor tricks." His pale eyes narrowed, knees bending as he took a sturdier, more aggressive stance. "Don't try any funny moves, pal. I got eyes in the back of my head," he snapped at the passerby who stood poised to enter the fray.

"He means me, of course," chimed Belial. Had the elemental a mouth, it would have been in what many refer to as a shit-eating grin, his blue eyes glittering wickedly. Floating over to the passerby, making shooing motions with his hands, the elemental continued, "This doesn't concern you and your--" he sniffed "--paltry magical abilities. You'd best be on now, shoo. On with you, little mage."

With Belial keeping his watchful eyes on the other mage--proving to be useful for once--Damien kept his steely gaze on the well dressed man before him. "I ain't gotta tell you nothing, pal. You're the one stalking me, and normal people don't do that unless they wanna mug someone or cause trouble, so no, I won't be putting this down." His frown deepened. "I've been doing nothing but minding my own business, buying food and looking for a place to sleep. Ain't my fault people stare, now why don't you tell me what business you have stalking us, buddy, cause the way I see it, I wouldn't trust you farther than I could throw you."

The elf stared him down, unblinking and unmoving, save for his hair that doubled as a spirit elemental.

tortricidae Offline

Find
Ah. So he was one of those types. The disagreeable, angry, violent type. That wasn't likely going to fly for very long, even with a demonic creature attached to his head. While likely not a mage by default, magic was magic and there were some people in this city specifically trained to dispose of such disturbances.

And Killian wouldn't be able to stop him even if he wanted to.

"If you're here to threaten your way into a dry spot, you're not going to get very far," Killian said, voice laced with indifference. "You might think that being antagonizing is going to save you, but please. You're an aggressive outsider in a city that will put you down faster than you think is possible. Strike me if you are going to resort to such frivolous actions, but don't patronize me."

Killian sighed. Curiosity killed the cat. The poor samaritan that offered to assist Killian scooted away once addressed. A violent spirit in the streets? Magnus and Cromwell would have to be notified immediately of the intruder. Oh, and probably Graham too. Someone walking through the streets threatening anyone who approaches is too dangerous to let slide.

"I'm not your buddy or your pal, outsider," Killian continued. "But if you are going to be this way, I might as well be transparent. I am Killian. I am Deputy Head of Security at the Mage's College, and I am investigating the disturbance that you've been the source of. I have no intention of bringing you harm unless you are unreasonable, and I will have you vacated from the city and denied entrance if I must.

"I certainly hope it doesn't come to that, but you won't have long to make a decision. You or your spiritual attachment. I come peacefully, but I will not ask a third time. Put your weapon down and stop giving these ignorant bystanders more fodder to use as ammunition, you unobservant prick."

Kila Offline

Sphinx Queen

Website Find
Damien

"Now wait just a godsdamned minute," Damien said with a growl, remaining in his defensive stance. "You been followin' me, so tell me, what have I done that's aggressive outside of taking a defensive stance against a stranger who stalks me a threatens me out of the blue? And I'm the bad guy for being prepared to defend myself? Is this how you ass backwards Sleibtans think? It seems like you're the real unobservant prick here." He made no motions to move, eyes still fixed on Killian's hands. If magic were to be thrown, he'd be ready to defend himself.

"I came to this city looking for help, and all I get are people staring at me and harassing me with questions when I try to ask directions to the nearest inn, for fuck's sake! I wasn't even rude when I asked for directions and damn near had to run away. You're the only one assumin' I'm here to cause trouble and threaten people--which is funny, considerin' you're the one doing the threatening. I won't be relaxin' until I'm sure you're not going to blast me as soon as I do. Like I said, I don't trust you."

It was then that Belial gave a shrill laugh. "Oh you mortals are so funny!" The elemental perched on the end of Damien's staff, his three eyes meeting Killian's gaze directly. "My dear man, Killian was it? If I meant you harm, you'd be dead already. Your city would be razed, now why don't you relax, because your tension is only upsetting my darling Damien, hm?"

"Don't give him my name!"

The elemental waved a hand dismissively at the elf. "Shshshshush, you, you've done enough. He introduced himself, it's only polite we do the same," he said, turning his attention back to Killian. "My name is Belial, and I'm not a demon or a spirit or whatever foul creature you seem to think I am--don't think I didn't notice that look in your eyes. I am a spirit elemental, and again, if I meant you or anyone else harm, you'd know it." His eyes gleamed eerily, though his tone was flat. "The elf is Damien, also harmless when not so rudely followed and threatened. Surely you're not so unreasonable a man to see how your actions would be alarming, yes?"

Damien interrupted with a grumble, "We'd be better off going elsewhere for help, Bel. Since they're so fuk--" He found his lips sealed shut with a glance from Belial, and he responded with a vulgar gesture in response to the elemental's magic.

"As I said before, we mean you and your city no harm, so won't you please just give us directions to the nearest inn so we may rent a room and be on our way?"

tortricidae Offline

Find
Killian's face was expressionless. He might have to get Magnus in on the conversation, but he figured he would try at least once more for diplomacy. Damien was not welcome in the city. Not by a long shot, and neither was this spirit elemental. Not when they were skewed and violent. Not when the smallest provocation set them off.

Yfrelo was a progressive city - save for the mages in the college who called the shots - and was relatively nonviolent despite some small groups of spellslingers gaining traction in the poorer districts. That was another issue for another day however. He took a deep breath, hands up, palms facing Damien and Belial. He was so close to outright attacking, it was burning the edges of his moral compass.

He had every reason to attack without warning. Damien walks into the city, feels attacked because he has a spirit elemental attached to him. Claims innocence, but as soon as Killian approached, became hostile and irrational. Clearly there was another issue going on here. Clearly Damien was unhinged, though maybe not Damien specifically. Maybe it was Belial having some sort of control over the other.

A parasitic elemental perhaps?

"I don't know what kinds of conversations you have been having on your travels," Killian started, voice level. "I've been following you for a while. Nobody has raised a hand against you, and nobody has been verbally harassing you. Asking questions is hardly cause for such a contemptuous response especially when you say you've been attempting to find shelter.

"Deplorable and lazy attempts at trying to intimidate me are not going to work. When you create a disturbance by having a spirit elemental attached to you and you respond so unfavorably to people who want little more than to ask questions, you create a hostile environment. The fact that I have to explain a concept so simple to you is a waste of my time."

The more he thought about it, more his chest tightened. Every day he had to deal with this type of bullshit. He was doing his job and suddenly he is the bad guy instigating the innocent so they had no choice but to retaliate with aggression. Killian had done nothing but keep track of the disturbance and follow it around. He didn't attack first and then ask questions; he didn't threaten on first contact; he didn't show any aggressive behavior.

And yet, here they were. If Belial wanted to allude to his intense destructive power, that was fine. Cocky and arrogant creatures of all kinds did similar things. Bolster and posture like a dangerous peacock. Killian would face a challenge head on if he had to. He'd spent dozens of years practicing and applying magic in increasingly efficient ways.

Though diplomacy was always supposed to be the first answer. The first response to aggression because...that's just how he had to be.

"I followed you because you appear dangerous. You have proven to be dangerous by pointing a weapon at me as opposed to standing your ground diplomatically. Instead of de-escalating the situation, you continued to threaten me as well as allow this spirit elemental to not only show how indecent it is, but to threaten an entire city. Call me what you want, but I have been transparent with you.

"I told you who I am, what I am doing here, what I expect from you, and you not only spit it back in my face, but also try to tell me that you could raze the city? As if that will put me at ease? As if that will force me to retract my statements, Damien? How dare you insult my intelligence and then expect me to extend respect towards you and your creature."

Killian hadn't moved. His hands were still in the air, palms facing Damien, and his expression was still unreadable. He was annoyed if not inconvenienced. Had he been the impatient sort, he would have put Damien back out into the blistering cold. There was no place for someone like this in Yfrelo, but he wasn't the one who could make those decisions.

"If you want to destroy the city, then do it." He blinked and flexed his fingers, channeling his magic into his hands, just in case Damien decided to actually strike. "But if not, don't posture like some scared animal in an effort to drive me away. I'm not going anywhere. It's my job to take care of people like you. And whether you feel hostility or not is your problem. You're in the middle of the city. If you were honestly so turned off by our culture, then you should have turned around or rampaged a long time ago.

"Put. Your. Weapon. Down."

Kila Offline

Sphinx Queen

Website Find
Damien

"I am not an it. I am not a creature. I am most certainly not Damien's pet," Belial's voice echoed, yet never rose above more than a low rumble within his being, causing all but the bone mask and fragments he adorned himself with to tremble. "How dare you infer that I am some lowly pet or common tool to be used by this man, you lowly inferior little wretch of a sphinx." Above, the sky darkened as a gathering of clouds spiraled and twisted in a representation of the anger that boiled within. Lightning crackled overhead, yet never left the clouds.

Damn, seeing Belial this upset didn't sit well with the elf. Paying no heed to Killian or his display of magic, Damien stuck the pointed end of his staff into the ground, and reached a grey hand out to set it on what could only be described as the shoulder of the spirit elemental, cursing his luck.

"Bels," he spoke softly, "He's not worth the anger. Let his pompous college fool spout his assumptions all he wants. You ain't my pet, and you know we're in this together." He shot Killian another cold glare. "He's just a prick. Them high society types're all the same. Comin' here was a mistake. We'll find someone else, somewhere else, to help us figure this out." It was as though the elf was a different man as he soothed the temper of the elemental in his hair.

There was a tense moment as thunder rumbled overhead. The spirit, attention on Damien, gave a sort of nod as his form shrank. The clouds overhead parted, whatever storm Belial had been summoning dissipated. "Yes, I suppose you're right. It wouldn't be right to hurt innocent people now, would it?"

The only response the elemental got was a nod, and his attention turned back to Killian, all hint of pleasantness completely gone. He'd had enough of Killian and his presumptions. Enough of this high and mighty little man acting like he was some hot shot who was taking the high road. Damien sure as fuck didn't see it that way, not with the stalking and the profiling and the assumptions.

"For someone who claims to be diplomatic, you're sure a disrespectful sonuvabitch. You don't know me, you don't know Belial, and you sure as hell don't know what we been through. You ever stop and consider how maybe, just maybe, we don't like bein' stared at and whispered about? Chased down to answer questions?" He continued, voice even and low, "I ain't a people person on the best of days, and I just been minding my own in this city until you showed up, accusin' me of doin' shit I didn't do. We ain't here to cause trouble, yet you seem intent on claiming we are, following us with no proof, singling me out cause I got on the bad end of some magic, and you expect me to be all nice and amiable and diplomatic? Blow it out your ass and bugger off. Go find someone who's actually doing harm to your precious little shitshow of a city instead of trying to escalate conflict. I'm going to find an inn."

Without another word, he turned and walked away, staff in hand, with Belial fixed firmly in place, lengthening Damien's snow white hair as the elf drew farther away. If Killian followed, if he so much as attacked, Damien would be ready.

The elemental's eyes gleamed as he spoke in a sing-song tone, "You should really consider taking your own advice~ I don't think you're as good at your job as you think you are~ You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, and all that~"

Belial trailed after Damien, his form creating elegant white wisps.

"Keep your eyes peeled for me, yeah Bels? I got a feelin' he won't let it go, the bastard."

"With pleasure."